Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links which means that I may receive a commission if you click on one of the product links and make a purchase. I only share products that I believe will be valuable to my readers. All opinions are my own. Learn More »
I have been fascinated by a backpack suitcase combo ever since the idea was pitched by travel guru Rick Steves many years ago. He claimed that if you’re traveling Europe, dragging a wheelie bag can be tedious. Consider all of the stairs – hotels without elevators, jumping on and off of trains, etc. Wouldn’t it be easier to have everything you need securely strapped to your back?
I always thought it was a great idea…but being one with tendency to overpack (not to mention my NEED for copious amounts of camera gear) I never jumped on the bandwagon.
Enter the Peak Design Travel Line
When I saw the announcement for the Peak Design Travel Line I was pretty excited! I LOVE my Peak Design Everyday Backpack – check out the review here – so how could a travel bag from the bag experts at Peak be anything but awesome?
I’m still not sure if I could fit everything I want/need for a trip in this style of bag, but I’m dangerously close to handing them my money.
About the Peak Design Travel Line
45L Travel Backpack
- Full back panel-load access for packing
- Dual zippered side hatches for instant camera access
- Quick tablet & laptop access
- Dedicated front organization panel
- Soft-lined sunglasses pocket
- Hidden passport/document pockets
- Bag sits upright on floor when packed or empty
Expansion & Compression
- Maximum international carry on size in normal 35L state
- Expansion zip gives additional 10L of storage (45L max)
- Compressible down to 30L day bag size
- Expandable side pockets for water bottles, tripods
- Tuck-away external carry compression straps
- Rigidly supported sidewalls for easy packing
- Zippered dividing panel separates bag into 2 compartments, or stows away for 1 large volume
- Front organization panel contains 4 zippered mesh pockets for smaller items
- Mount Camera Cubes (sold separately) internally for back or side access to photo, drone, or video gear
- Protected luggage tag holder
Comfort & Portability
- Magnetic strap storage system
- 360-degree grab handles
- Full-size padded hip belt with additional pockets and attachment points for Capture & Range Pouch (sold separately)
- Axial strap attachments for shoulder & hip straps give constant comfort for all body types and carry loads
- Proprietary sternum strap
- Luggage pass-through and duffel grab handle
- Back panel folds under for increased ventilation & comfort
- 400D weatherproof 100% recycled nylon canvas shell
- DWR impregnated, PU-coated interior for water resistance
- Oversized #8 (front, side) and #10 (back) main zips are weatherproof and lockable
- Rugged 900D weatherproof bottom liner
- Ultralight padded foam provides security, structure, and aesthetic cleanliness around entire bag
Compressible, easy to access, and dividable, Peak Design Packing Cubes are available in 2 sizes. A tear-away main zip lets you access contents instantly, and an internal divider allows separation of clean and dirty clothes. An expansion/compression zip doubles available space or compresses clothes so you can fit more in your bag.
Dedicated, easy-to-clean pockets for toothbrush and razor. Hangs or sits upright on sink for easy access in tight spaces. Unique folding pocket layout keeps toiletries neatly organized and easy to find.
Designed to store small items like cables, cards, batteries, and travel essentials,Tech Pouch’s unique origami-style pockets create enormous spatial efficiency. Pack more into a smaller space, yet keep all items organized and easy to find.
Camera Cubes provide protection, organization, and instant access to camera, video, and drone gear. Securely mount Camera Cubes inside the Travel Backpack and access your gear via the rear or side zips. Tuck-away lids let you access camera gear from outside of the bag via a single zip, while a system of intelligently designed dividers allows for endless organization and customization.
An ultralight, durable, weatherproof pouch for shoes or additional clothing storage.
Provides complete waterproof protection to an already weatherproof bag. Rain Fly is made of durable, ultralight 200D rip-stop nylon, adjusts via cinch cord for snug form-fit, and stuffs into a convenient storage pocket.
Preorder the Peak Design Travel Backpack on Kickstarter
Intrigued? I know I am! The Travel Line is currently available for preorder, and they expect to start shipping in December, 2018.