Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links which means that I may receive a commission if you click on one of the product links and make a purchase. I only share products that I believe will be valuable to my readers. All opinions are my own. Learn More »
Coming this June – On1 Photo RAW 2018.5
On1 Photo RAW 2018.5 will include several exciting new features such a s LUTs and Camera Profiles as well as a performance boost and bug fixes!
What is On1 Photo RAW?
On1 Photo RAW 2018.5 is a complete photo editing suite that includes a browse module for digital asset management, non-destructive editing, pro effects, and layers that allow for compositing and blending. In addition to being a stellar standalone application, On1 Photo RAW also works as a plugin with Lightroom, Photoshop, etc.
Key Features and Improvements
- Camera Profiles – Select the same looks you see on the back of your camera in On1 Photo RAW. Select from Natural, Portrait, Landscape, etc. depending on what your camera offers. These are not presets as they don’t adjust any of the sliders, and are non-destructive. These will include popular cameras like Fujifilm.
- LUTs in Effects– LUTs or Look-Up Tables are a favorite way to add matte, vintage or cinematic color grading looks. These will be available inside Effects in version 2018.5. A ton of LUTs will be available in the release along with individual packs from Matt Kloskowski, Tamara Lackey, and Hudson Henry. The common .3DL and .CUBE formats found online can be imported into Photo RAW. LUTs will work like any of the current filters in Effects. You can stack them, mask them and control the blending options.
- RAW+JPG – If you shoot RAW and JPG at the same time, you will be able to collapse and hide the JPG copy, so your library isn’t cluttered. Any metadata or file changes you make are mirrored to the JPG seamlessly.
- Faster Film Strip for Culling – Using the Filmstrip in Develop and Effects will be just as fast as in Browse. You will be able to switch photos instantly! You can even perform your editing and culling tasks, like ratings, labels, rotate and delete, while you are adjusting your raw processing.
- Transform Enhancements – The Transform pane in Develop will include new tools to correct perspective and rotation issues along with a new grid will make it easier to visualize results.
- Nested Presets – Ability to better organize presets into a nested category structure will be added along with the ability to move, rename, delete, and nest presets and categories.
- Nested Albums – Nest albums or photos inside of other albums. If you are migrating from Lightroom, your nested collections are brought over by the Lightroom migration assistant.
- Improved Brushing Performance – Brushing with the Masking Brush will be more fluid and responsive, especially on Windows computers with large or high-dpi displays.
- Background Export – Exporting will be processed in the background so customers can continue to work on another job without having to wait for the export to finish. You can even stack multiple export jobs and continue working on your photos.
- Performance Boost & Increased Stability – Significant under the hood speed and stability improvements are coming in 2018.5. These include speedier switching of modules between Browse, Develop, and Effects along with switching and culling photos using the film strip in Develop and Effects.
- New Cameras and Lenses – Each update includes new cameras and lenses. The list is continuously updated, and we will share the final details when version 2018.5 is released.
Learn More about On1 Photo RAW
Questions about On1?
Feel free to ask your questions in the comments below or reach out to me directly. I will do my best to help!